Monday, January 16, 2012

Mac & Cheese

We had today off because of Martin Luther King Day so it feels like Sunday although it is really Monday.  The boys have been begging me all weekend to make Mac & Cheese so I decided today was the day.  I often hesitate on making this dish because it is so good and oh so bad, but sometimes you just need a meal where you say "F" it and have seconds.  This is the kind of dish you do that with.  My sister made this years ago when we were visiting and I made sure I copied down the recipe before I left.  I have been making it ever since.  I sadly don't know the original source and I have changed it a bit so what you have here is a my slightly modified version of an absolutely additive recipe.  It isn't healthy at all, but it's really frickin' good.  It's great served with a big salad.

Ingredients:

5 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
4 cups milk or soymilk
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound of macaroni of your choice
3 cups (or 1 12 oz block) Xsharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350

Melt the 5 tablespoons of butter in a sauce pan
Add flour, whisk 3 min
Add milk - whisking - bring to boil
Add mustard, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
Simmer 2 min until thick - remove from heat
Cook pasta
Stir pasta, sauce, cheese + 1 cup of parmesan cheese
Put in large baking dish
Add bread crumbs + rest of parmesan cheese

Bake 25-30 minutes at 350.

3 comments:

nicole carey said...

Sounds yummy! Moe (of recycle moe) made awesome mac and cheese for us after the Womens Festival.. baked and topped with crumbled potato chips! nomnomnom

Kacey said...

Yum! Sounds great. There is nothing more warming than homemade mac & cheese.

Immanuel Kabuhung said...

Hi, I am writing in reference to your page. We have noticed that you have a great number of tasty recipes and I would like to suggest you to have a look at the myTaste.com. Our site is a search engine that gathers all the best recipes from all major USA blogs and websites in one place. To add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on our site, all you have to do is add your page URL here: http://www.mytaste.com/add-your-food-blog If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at : info@mytaste.com You can also find us on: Facebook and twitter Kind Regards, Immanuel Kabuhung