Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mystery Meal

Tonight we created a new weekly dinner idea.  Mystery Meal.

It was the kind of night where I had to piece together what I had in the house to make dinner.  I kind of like the challenge.  I often start with cooking up a few things not really knowing what I'm making at the beginning, but finishing up with something surprising.  Tonight I tried hard to keep the kids out of the kitchen.  Sometimes it's just easier to not show them what I'm making.  I began by cutting up and roasting two sweet potatoes that I had left.  Then after digging through the fridge I found some tempeh and a bit of romaine lettuce.  The idea of fajitas popped into my mind so I went with it.  While the sweet potatoes were roasting I cut up a small red onion, three cloves of garlic (I love garlic) and saut√©ed those up in a pan with some olive oil.  Then I added the thinly sliced pieces of tempeh and added about 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder and about 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.  Once the sweet potatoes were finished I threw some flour tortillas in the oven to warm up and then filled them with the tempeh mixture, sweet potatoes, shredded lettuce, cheddar cheese and some salsa.

I put them on a plate with some green beans on the side and served them up.  My kids kept asking what they were and I wouldn't say.  "Eat" I said.  "Just eat".  As they started eating they began asking questions about what was inside and we ended up making a game out of it.  The enjoyed guessing the ingredients and I promised I would tell them when they finished.  While eating we decided to call it the mystery meal and they said we should move it to Mondays so we could rename it Mystery Meal Monday.  They finished the food and were excited to hear about how many guesses they got right for everything inside their tortillas.

It was a fun way to get them to try foods they might have turned their noses at if they had known before and it was a great way for me to clean out the fridge and try something creative and new.  So tonight my Tempeh Sweet Potato Fajitas were born.  If I had avocados and peppers they would have made a great addition.  Next time.

Create your own mystery meal some night and see what you get for a reaction.

No comments: